- About Us
- Maritime Security (MarSec)
- Protective Services
- Travel Security Management
- Private Investigator & Due Diligence
- Surveillance & Covert Services
- Covert Human Intelligence (HUMINT) Sources: CHIS
- Tracking & Monitoring
- Workshops & Training
- Contact Us
- Useful Links
Malacca Strait Pirates: Two Further Incidents
Two incidents involving Malacca Strait pirates were reported to ReCAAP Saturday 21 March 2015. The two incidents of robbery were reported onboard a bulk carrier and a container ship at 0100 hrs and 0545 hrs (local time) respectively in the eastbound lane of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore (SOMS), as described below:
- On 21 March 2015 at or about 0100 hrs (local time), four men boarded a Marshall Island-registered bulk carrier, CAPETAN GIORGIS, while underway at approximately 3.8 nm off Tanjung Sengkuang, Batam (position 01° 13.64’ N, 103° 58.3’ E). No possessions or equipment was reported as missing and the crew remained safe.
- On the same day at or about 0545 hrs (local time), a Luxembourg-registered container ship, MSC VANCOUVER, while underway at approximately 9 nm northeast off Pulau Karimum Besar (position 01° 6.0’ N, 103° 34.0’ E) when seven perpetrators armed with knives and tools boarded the container ship. The perpetrators had stolen the 2nd engineer’s gold chain and watch.
The master of the two vessels reported the incidents to Singapore Vessel Traffic Information System (VTIS) who notified the Singapore Police Coast Guard, Republic of Singapore Navy and Indonesian authorities; and initiated navigational broadcasts to alert mariners about the incidents.
The ReCAAP Information Sharing Centre recommends vessels to take extra precautionary measures when operating in this area, especially in the hours of darkness.
Knight Associates currently work alongside ship Owner and management company Clients based from and operating through Singapore and SE Asia implementing anti-piracy policies and procedures, fleet defences, and crew training.
Read more about Knight Associates Maritime Security (MarSec) services here
Or email: email@example.com